Monday, April 12, 2010

meeting asciepius


source


The "Meeting Asciepius" exercise is powerful. The first time I did this I chose my husband as the person that I respect, honor, and have a special connection with. I loved the visualization that came into my mind from these words. The experience of myself receiving his purified mind, speech, and heart was amazing. I really, really look up to my husband. He is such a great role model as a Godly man. To be able to have anywhere close to the amount of wisdom, compassion, love, peace, passion, forgiveness, etc. that he has would be incredible. I have learned so much from him and am able to see myself grasping those amazing characteristics myself (at that high of a level).


When I visualized his entire image of him dissolving into the bright light and entering into my body, I could feel the warmth and positive energy flowing through. I just felt encouraged and loved more than ever. Near the end of this exercise, it mentioned to remember "your ever-present inner healer will support and guide you toward integral health" (Dacher, 2006, p. 57). I immediately thought of God and him being my healer. His spirit is what lives within me; he is alive and active in me. God is who can get me through anything...even integral health. The practicing of mindfulness has opened up even more doors for me, especially spiritually. It has given me a reason to have even more time with Him and to really focus on my life and how I can be more like Him with love, kindness, compassion, peace, joy, wisdom, etc.


These practices are very helpful for me, and my walk with God. It has helped me to focus better in general, which has benefited my quiet time with Him or in prayer. I am not perfect, so I can accept that it will be challenging to always have a clear mind so I can pull all of my focus on one thing, but I know I can use the tactics to help me lessen those distractions. I can use my clear mind to not only work on my spiritual walk but also with my physical body and my mental state.


Dacher, E.S. (2006). Integral health: the path to human flourishing. Laguna Beach, CA: Basic Health Publications.

5 comments:

fatima said...

Hi Kristen,
I think your husband is a lucky man to have a woman like you who believe in him.
I liked this exercise as well and I think they do have a positive effect on me as well.
Fatima

Ginger said...

Kristen,

I am quite envious of you! My marriage is going through a really bad time and it is hard not to simply hate. I would say this class and people like you help me to refocus my thoughts.

Thanks
Ginger

kristen mcashan said...

Fatima, that is really sweet of you to say. I do not take him for granted.

Ginger, I am sorry to hear that. Trust me...we have our moments too. But I know the number one thing that always, always keeps us going strong (and gets us back to that strong connection) is God. Man, he has to be in the middle of our relationship or we would not make it. Best wishes to you and your husband!!

Ash said...

Dear Kristen,

Hey there. First, I just wanted to mention thank you for commenting on my blog last week.

Anyway, I really enjoyed reading you post for our Unit 7 Blog. Doesn't it feel great to have a strong, powerful man in your life to set a great example and model for us? I think so!! Prayer is a great example of how you strengthen your spiritual mind. I know it helps me feel closer to God!!!

GREAT BLOG!!

Hope you have a wonderful day!!

Andrea Woosley said...

I did not use my husband for this exercise, but I will try it this way next time. I used an imaginary person and created one. I enjoyed this exercise and will continue to practice this one I think my husband is an amazing person and like find him supportive. Thanks for sharing your story, you and your husband found a companionship that is truly amazing and rare!
Andrea