Monday, April 5, 2010

wellness and healing


source


I absolutely love the loving kindness meditation. I find this very appropriate in my life. I try to love everyone. God wants us to love everyone, no matter what. To pray for our loved ones and our enemies, to forgive them, and to love them. I am not saying that it is easy for me, but I know that it is the right thing to do. God's words say it well..."And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love" (1 Corinthians 13: 13). You have to love everyone people!! :) It truly and honestly makes the world a better place…as cheesy as that sounds. When I only think about love and how I can be of help to others and to love them and care for them, it makes me feel amazing. One can't help but being happy and spreading more love. It is a real test though when you find someone who rejects your love. I want to quit sometimes and just think that it's their loss, but that's when they need it the most. That's where I figure out ways around things to still show my love and let them know that I care.


The area that I would like to focus on for growth and development would be biological. I am in no means worried about my nutrition, body, or weight, etc. But the thing is I grew up playing sports and being extremely active my whole entire life all the way up until about last year. I am even a certified personal trainer, however I am not practicing this profession at the time. Because of this, I literally do not have a strict workout schedule like I have had my entire life. Fortunately, I eat healthy and move around a bit nannying my 3 nieces (all under the age of 5) and I have not gained any weight (although I have lost some muscle). But mentally it has messed with my head and I feel like I am weak. I feel unaccomplished and at times frustrated with myself. I was just so used to always doing something, and now that it has not been made a priority it is hard. So I would like to improve (slowly but surely) my physical fitness training. Come to think of it I can use some work on more mind/body exercises as well.


I know that I need to mentally work on my mind set on not getting frustrated or upset with myself for not exercising. I feel that when I get past that frustration, I will feel more motivated and energized to actually put more effort into making it another priority. I do not want to go overboard though, because I have many, many priorities that still need tending too. When I am with my nieces I can incorporate more outdoor (now that the weather is nice) activities. That has worked in the past, but I think I kept making excuses or they really were excuses. I know the girls love being active and involved so I need to focus on learning more activities that can be beneficial to me and fun for them. Accountability partners are fabulous! I know my husband is a great one. He actually says he wants to work on his workout routines as well, but it's hard for him since he's a workaholic. :) In the past we made a great team since we held each other accountable. Plus we can enjoy the time together even if it's hard and we want to give up.

3 comments:

fatima said...

Hi Kristen,
I think the idea of loving everyone is great because we have a saying in Arabic that mean we see people through our mental eye, which mean if we are good , we will see everyone good and if we are suspecious we will see the people suspecious too. I guess if we become something, we will feel the world is changing according to our own changes.
Working out seems like a good idea because it does lift the spirit and give you the feeling of accomplishment, yet I want to say is you are nannying 3 kids that is an accomplishment right there!
Take care.
Fatima

Paula McClellan Hilbert said...

Hi Kristen,

I think the Loving-Kindness meditation is an excellent choice for you. You have a big and loving heart, and if you find someone that rejects your love, using the Loving-Kindness Meditation really works.

I hope you and your husband are able to find time for your workout routines. That is great that you used to do this, and you should recapture that for yourselves.

Paula

kristen mcashan said...

Thanks Fatima and Paula! I always love reading y'alls encouragment. My 3 nieces are a handful at times, but I absolutely love them and my job! I sure hope my husband and I can get back into the routine as well!! Take care!! xox