Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Loving-Kindness


[source]

At first I found it difficult to find the time to do these daily exercises. Sadly enough, it was difficult to make myself do two 15 minute sessions. However, about half way through I found myself doing them with no problem. I knew I enjoyed it once I did it, so I was making sure to incorporate it into my crazy busy days, and it was totally worth it. I mean who wouldn't want more Loving Kindness throughout their days??

This exercise technique was one I have not done before. It still got me thinking and focusing, but I really enjoyed the outcome of it..."to create a heartfelt loving-kindness that diminishes your self centeredness and quiets your mind" (Dacher, 2006, p. 69). Thankfully I am already blessed with a loving nature. I do not have a hard time loving others and physically showing I care and love them. Whether it is hugs, sweet cards, rides to place, or just listening, these are easy for me and I love doing it. This exercise is another way for me to show I care and love them, but mentally. I love it. I feel I am going that extra mile to show loving-kindness, and it is the kind that I don't need to flaunt and tell them that I am doing it. I feel that they will feel that difference.

To me this exercise is similar to prayer. Just being in a quiet place and focusing on certain things or people. Especially the part of breathing in and taking in others suffering and dissolving it in my heart. I enjoy the visualizations to, physically breathing it into my heart an watching it dissolve. I believe this exercise to be very beneficial. For me, I had to make sure I was really focusing on the meaning of it. I feel that if I did not attempt to do this two times a day (to be honest, I did miss a couple times...who's perfect?) then I would not benefit from it.

I would definitely recommend this to others. I would encourage full commitment on this exercise. I feel those who regularly pray, meditate, or have some type of technique would have an easier time adapting to this daily schedule and have higher chances of benefiting.

Dacher makes a great point...anything to take focus off myself is great! Doesn't it feel good when you are thinking of others before yourself, and putting their feelings and well-being before you. I am not a parent (yet!) but I feel that this is what it will be like all the time for me. Constantly, but lovingly, putting my family before me. I know my husband and I already do this, and it is good. Dacher also mentions the lovely "we get back what we give." I totally agree with this. :)

1 comment:

brenda said...

Hello and thank you for those wonderful encouraging words. I am also a believe in you get back what you put in. I commented on my paper I love to give and I feel such a high awareness when I give it is like a peak experience that A. Maslow spoke of when a person is striving for self actualization. So I understand exactly where you are coming from. All I have to do is to continue, with these practices as they become a part of my daily activities.
B.Alexander