Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Mental Workout


[source]


The concept of Mental Workout is very similar to physical workouts. We know we need physical exercise and we are educated about the benefits of taking the time to exercise. We know that in order to be healthy, in shape, or physically fit for something specific then we have certain goals and exercises that we need to do in order to get where we want/need to be. I love Dacher's point he made, "...everything meaningful in life is achieved through effort, discipline, and perseverance" (p. 66).

Just like physical workouts, mental workouts need to be done daily in order to reap the benefits. Exercising one week is a good start but not nearly enough. Exercising a month is something to be proud of but is probably still not enough to see the results you want. Exercising a year is amazing, and by this time it has become a part of your normal routine. Not only will this be easier for you to do daily, but it has changed your life...for the better. This is the same way with mental workouts, doing it a few times will not lead to human flourishing.

One of the main purposes of mental workout is "not rest and relaxation but rather the progressive development of an expanded consciousness and its healing capacities" (p. 65). This will take some time to evolve but eventually you will feel the difference and will not want to go back to what you were before.

tame and train the mind, open the heart, expand consciousness, and progress us toward psychospiritual flourishing.

2 comments:

Jill said...

Hi Kristen,

I like your example and comparison of mental workouts to exercise. We should incorporate mental workouts as well as exercise into our daily lifestyle each day, so that improvement and well-being can take effect. I do not care for exercise but I know if I do not do this, I have too much energy and do not know how to use it wisely. I also could stand to lose some weight. :) In time, I will have a routine going and this will be a peace of cake. I will totally feel and look like a different person by the end of the year. Keep up the workouts!
Jill

Kevin said...

I need to practice these mental workouts much more. I exercise daily, but in the end if I am not "fit" mentally I can not reap the full benefits.